Taping is commonly used as an adjunct or temporary technique. Athletes often make use of taping as a protective mechanism in the presence of an existing injury. Some of the goals with taping are to restrict the movement of injured joints, soft tissue compression to reduce swelling. support anatomical structures, and as protection from re-injury. Taping is used as one of the means of rehabilitation or prophylaxis in instances where support and stability are needed, as a first-aid tool, for the prevention of injury and protection of an injured anatomical structure while healing is taking place.
Intended Purpose and Effect of Taping Techniques
The tape is commonly used by physiotherapists to:
- relieve your pain
- improve joint stability
- enhance athlete confidence
- reduce injury recurrence
- prevent injury
- reduce strain on injured or vulnerable tissues
- correct faulty biomechanics
- inhibit muscle action
- facilitate muscle action
- enhance proprioception
- compress in the presence of edema or lymphatic drainage
Some of these purposes may be achieved through a combination of these possible effects of taping:
- mechanical effects
- neuromuscular effects
- psychological effects
There are different kinds of tape that can be employed:
- Rigid strapping tape commonly used in taping or strapping is often referred to as “sports tape” or “athletic tape” and is most often a rigid style of strapping tape.
- Elastic strapping tape can also be used when less rigidity or support is required.
- Kinesiology tape is an improved version of elastic sports tape that acts to dynamically assist your muscle function.
Aims of Taping
Tape may be used to:
- Stabilize or support an injury
- Relieve pain by de-loading vulnerable or painful structures
- Facilitate normal movement, muscle action, or postural patterns.
Principles of taping
- Protection of the skin-Check the skin sensitivity of the person to be taped that he is not allergic to the adhesive tape. Make sure there are no existing rash or broken skin in the area to b taped.
- Hair removal in the area to be taped-It is better if the hair is removed 12 hours prior to the tape application to reduce skin irritation.
- Clean and prepare the skin
- The padding of the sensitive areas with adhesive tape.